I Remember (Update)

A few months ago, I wrote a very personal poem inspired by the break up of a fellow friend. Over the last few months I repeatedly thought back to this poem, I wasn't originally happy with its content so I had been tweaking here and there to create the poem I wanted my feelings to exert. I wanted a poem that every man or woman could relate to, as cliched as that sounds, but to also strike a chord in the hearts of all who have been broken by their first love. So, I present to you, (and I'm so sorry it's longer than I anticipated) inspired by my dear friend and some of my own personal experiences, 'I Remember'.

Do you remember the day we met?
Awkward glances around your eyes transformed into endless toying of obsession
You gave me a single diamond, a single tear placed in my hand
Frozen in place.

We climbed the steps, one by one, your head nuzzled in my shoulder
Like you needed protecting
The smell of sweet endearment pierced the skin like winter snow
And your diamond ran down my cheek
You kissed away all what was imperfect.
I remember.

Do you remember the first time your hand graced mine?
Palms swam cool with nerves but lacked in steel
Slowly burned an imprint on my heart.
My Thor held me, and I him so tight
I vowed to never let go.

So to bed, encompassing foolish fantastical ideas of love
I fell asleep, weary of existence
But your hand still gripped tight
You were dreaming of the stars.
How the hammer flew into the sky that night
And like empty promises
Never returned.
I remember.

Do you remember writing your passion into words?
Handpicked at a moment's choice
The journal shone emerald green with dashes of gold
Fitzgerald's Gatsby stole the cover.
Potential exploded into vast wishes and fantasies.

Pages as crisp as the air on a cool Sunday morning
Your writing brought me solace
How I dreamed of falling head first into your charm and your words
Cushioning the collapse into despair
''Ay there's the rub''.
Round it swirls with such ferocity
Drip goes the ink
''Turn away' you said, ''it's not ready''.
I remember.

Do you remember the day you said "Marry me?"
So precise the ring sat
In the shape of a birdcage, in which my heart was its occupant.
You held up a tie to the sun, ablaze with colours and shapes
The puzzled expression said "Together...or not at all".
Burgundy or green, which is more May?
How fitting the cliche.

The bells ring, louder and louder
Sirens warning of danger
How could I know?
You leaned in, a comfort kiss
But doubt prevented me from returning your token.
I remember.

Do you remember Goodbye?
Time stood still
But left me behind
My hand is loose and limp now
Quicker than a moving train you break me.
The sheets were crimson
Creased but cold
I slept alone on your bedroom floor
"I don't know how to feel anymore."

So quick it was
Virtual and lifeless words from the screen in your hand
You took a trip to the promised land.
I am thrust away
Into the light
Luna guides me and my way with her radiant beam
You drift away slowly, like a bad dream.

Goodbye ceased to exist
But know this, you will be missed.
For I remember, and I always will.

K.P.S

Comments

Popular Posts